Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What country is this?

The social studies teacher down the hall told me that one of our mutual students asked him "What country is this?" during today's social studies lesson. It kind of surprised me since this was one of our more advanced students. I might have expected it from one of those who is on a 2nd grade reading level in the 7th grade, but from what I have seen she is at least on grade level. At first I thought she may have been kidding around, just asking silly questions, but obviously not. Apparantly she turned around and told the person behind her, "See, I told you so." I'm glad that she was right about the name of our country. What I want to know is who was wrong? And what did they think it was?

It reminds me of a story I heard from the Language Arts teacher across the hall from me last year. On career day, the speak referred to making a business trip to Spain during the last year. One of the students asked if the teacher had even been to Spain. It turns out that she had vacationed in Spain around 5 years earlier. When they heard her reply, one of them asked, "Which Spain did you go to? The over by France or the other one." To which the teacher replied, "The one over by France." I think she dropped it at that point because she wouldn't tell me where the other one was.

No comments: